November is a Great Month to Plant
In fact, it might be the best month to plant trees and shrubs to settle in over the cooler, wetter months and give you a brilliant showing next Spring. Add interesting Fall color to your landscape and patio containers this month that will last and last! There’s just so much you can do in your garden right now that will give you joyful color throughout the season. Fall is for planting.
Come visit us today.
At Houston Plants & Garden World we have rows and rows of cheery seasonal color sure to inspire your inner decorator!
Get creative with your flower beds and fill them with a mix and match of colorful pansies, petunias, and dianthus.
Or, color block solid yellow, all blue or deep purple for a dramatic look all the way to next season. What’s your favorite? Make your patio pots stand out with a mix of petunias and snapdragons. Dianthus completes the look and gives you long lasting blooms.
There’s so much to choose from!
Trees add value to your property and are important to birds and wildlife.
There’s no better time than right now to replace or add trees and shrubs to your landscape. For the best performance next season, come to Houston Plants and Garden World today. We offer the largest selection of locally grown plants inside FM 1960 and that makes a difference. Save time and get root stimulator, soil amendments, hand tools and everything you need to plant, with one trip to our garden center.
- Add fall colors to your beds and patio pots that will last throughout the winter months like pansies, petunias, kale, dusty miller, dianthus and snapdragons. Plant in prepared soil and a sunny location.
- Plant perennials now through December.
- Prune any dead or diseased wood from trees and shrubs but wait to prune fruit trees until December or January.
- Plant new trees and shrubs now, you’ll be glad you did.
- If you missed the application of a winterizer fertilizer to your grass, there’s still time to get it done. Appy Nitro-Phos Fall Special Fertilizer before December.
- If you’re concerned about winter weeds, get a pre-emergent down quickly. Come see us in the store for assistance with the product best for your situation. We’re here to help!
- Be on the lookout for pillbugs (rollie-pollies) eating your flower transplants. Control with Sevin or diazinon.
- Move your bougainvilleas, hibiscus, plumeria, citrus, mandevilla and other cold-sensitive plants to your garage or greenhouse for the winter.
- Plant wildflower seeds this month for Spring beauty.
- If you’ll be planting roses next January or February, prepare beds now with pine bark mixed with soil or compost.
- Don’t gather your leaves for the landfill – leave as much as you can on the ground for wildlife and nutrients for the soil.
- Have a great Thanksgiving with friends and family during this special time of the year!
From our family to yours, have a wonderful and joyful Thanksgiving.
Questions? We’re here to help.
Bring us your garden dreams, questions and problems. Or just stop by and stroll through our nursery to add joy and beauty to your day.
Our expert staff has an average of 20 years of gardening experience. HPGW has the most experienced customer service staff in Houston. Visit our customer service staff or Facebook us your gardening concerns about insects, fertilizer, or plants, and we will help you succeed.